From Rome to Maremma Tuscany, from the metropolis to the open spaces of the countryside (from the 7th till the 13th of March)
A trip in the heart of central Italy visiting Rome and its oldest and famous archaeological sites first, and then moving by train to Tuscany, in the area known as Maremma. A journey rich with contrasts between the charm of the eternal city and the scents of the Mediterranean vegetation, between the monumental places of worship and the spectacular views from the Spanish fortresses scattered on the promontory of Monte Argentario.
- Ride your bicycle along silent paths surrounded by the Mediterranean vegetation, observing from above the incredible symmetry of the Tombolo of Feniglia and Giannella
- Enjoy the view of the picturesque fisherman’s village and the fishing vessels of Porto Ercole, an ancient Spanish stronghold perched on the Argentario promontory
- Learn about the historic Stato dei Presidi by listening to the tales told by a local elderly resident
- Take a mental picture of the silent Orbetello Lagoon and the tranquility of the medieval hamlet of Capalbio
- Learn that Rome is an important place of worship not only for the Christian religion, but also for the Islamic and Jewish ones
- Go back in time while cycling along the Via Appia Antica and the Parco degli Acquedotti
- Enjoy the contemporary art in the works by international writers on the walls of the Quadraro neighborhood
- Move like a truly responsible traveler using only a bicycle and the train to move around
- Taste the great dishes of the Roman and Maremma cuisines in friendly and authentic environment
BRIEF TRIP PROGRAM
Saturday, March 7th: ROME
Individual arrival and accommodation in a 3-star hotel a few meters away from the Vatican City. In the afternoon, meeting with your tour guide who will illustrate the program. Dinner in a typical local restaurant. Overnight stay in Hotel.
Sunday, March 8th: THE CYCLABLE ARCHAEOLOGICAL PARK
Breakfast. Our bicycle trip begins amongst ancient ruins, funerary monuments, immense Roman aqueducts along “the most modern road of the ancient world”, Via Appia Antica. An external visit to the two symbols of Rome is a must: the Colosseum and the Roman Forum are today easily reachable on two wheels. Free for dinner. Overnight stay.
Monday, March 9th: ROME AND RELIGION
Breakfast. Today we learn, through a bicycle ride almost entirely along cycle paths and pedestrian areas, that Rome is also the capital of monotheistic religions. We visit the Great Mosque located in the northern part of the city; then we cross the historic center and reach the Great Synagogue in the Jewish ghetto; and finally proceed to St Peter’s Basilica, symbol of Christianity. Dinner in a local tavern. Overnight stay.
Tuesday, March 10th: ROME IN FREEDOM – TRANSFER TO ORBETELLO
Breakfast. In the morning, you can enjoy Rome in total freedom. Later on, transfer by train to Orbetello (90-minute trip) and accommodation in a hotel located in the historic center. Dinner with typical dishes in the court of the famous stone seeker of Orbetello, with a briefing on the planning for the next few days. Overnight stay.
Wednesday, March 11th: BETWEEN ARCHAEOLOGY AND NATURE
Breakfast. We start our bicycle ride in Maremma along the lagoon of Ponente reaching the ruins of the ancient Roman city of Cosa on the Ansedonia promontory. Between the scents of the Mediterranean vegetation and the blue sea below us, we cycle on a level path towards the WWF Oasis of Burano, and after visiting it, we reach and explore the enchanting medieval hamlet of Capalbio. Return to Orbetello. Free for dinner. Overnight stay.
Thursday, March 12th: THE SPANISH FORTRESSES AND THE PINEWOOD
Breakfast. Today we discover the enchanting Monte Argentario. We ride along the cycle path next to the lagoon and reach the Rocca di Porto Ercole for a lovely walk in the alleys of the town. Then we reach Feniglia beach while enjoying breathtaking views of the Isolotto and Giannutri Island. Seafood-based packed lunch followed by total relax, with a chance to take a swim. We return to Orbetello along a path in the pinewood. Lake fish based dinner. Overnight stay.
Friday, March 13th: ORBETELLO
Breakfast. It’s time to say goodbye or – even better – to schedule the date for another beautiful bicycle holiday. End of our services.
Cost: € 600,00
Information and reservation: Bellandare Travel